The applicant must require skilled nursing care and:
- Was a resident of New York State at the time of entry into active duty or be a New York State resident for one year prior to application for admission; and
- Veteran must also have had an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces; and
- Veteran must have had at least 30 days of active service other than “active duty for training” (ACDUTRA).
- A spouse or widow of an otherwise qualified Veteran, unless legally separated, may be admitted to a home if the spouse was married to an eligible Veteran for one year prior to application and requires skilled nursing care.
- Gold Star parent – a mother or father of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces who died while on active duty.